An amber or ‘red’ beer is best for this recipe; it gives a depth of flavor without being too overpowering.
- 1 bottle beer (amber, preferably flat)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons seafood seasoning (such as Old Bay)
- 1 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Optional: 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pounds crab claws, crab legs, or whole crabs
- In a large covered stockpot, bring the beer, sugar, seafood seasoning, vinegar, and spices to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Add the crabs and stir well.
- Cover and steam 5-7 minutes (10-15 for raw crabs), stirring well a few times.
- Remove crabs and serve hot, sprinkled with a little extra seafood seasoning, if desired.