This salad is usually prepared with Dungeness crab, but if you use Rock Crab – it seems to hold together better, yielding meatier chunks of crab through the whole salad!
For the dressing:
- 1/2 Cup Mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Ketchup
- 1/2 Tablespoon sweet pickle relish
- 1/2 Tablespoon Fresh Lemon juice
- 1/2 Garlic clove – minced
- 1/2 Teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1/4 Teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Dashes of sweet smoked paprika
- 2 Dashes of chili powder
- Kosher Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
For the salad:
- 1/3 Pound of Asparagus
- 16 Ounces romaine heart – cut crosswise 1/2 inch thick
- 1 Six ounce seedless cucumber – thinly sliced or cut into spears
- 2 Medium tomatoes – cut into wedges (optional)
- 2 Hard-cooked eggs – cut into wedges
- 2 Radishes – thinly sliced
- Crab meat (~1lbs)
- In a bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the ketchup, relish, lemon juice, garlic, Tabasco, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, and chili powder. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the asparagus until just tender ~ 3 minutes. Drain and cool.
- Arrange the romaine, cucumber, radishes, tomatoes, eggs and asparagus on a platter. Top with large chunks of the crabmeat and serve, passing the dressing at the table.